Implant Supported Dentures
When it comes to replacing missing teeth, implant supported dentures are one of the best options for patients in Phoenix, Arizona. These procedures give patients many of the benefits associated with dental implants while incorporating the affordability of dentures.
Dentures are the most economical way to replace missing teeth, notably when the person is missing the majority of his or her real teeth. However, traditional dentures come with a few disadvantages. Some of them include:
- The device is continuously shifting in the patient’s mouth
- Can lead to mouth sores
- Often involves the use of dental adhesives
- Eating and talking with dentures can be quite difficult
- There is always a risk of the prosthetic falling out
- Dentures have to be taken out at night, cleaned and soaked in denture solution overnight
With so many disadvantages, it is not much of surprise that dental implants are quickly becoming the go-to option when it comes to replacing missing teeth. Implants come with many advantages like:
- Implants help to prevent jawbone tissue loss since it mimics the behavior of natural teeth and their roots
- Taking care of implants is no different from cleaning natural teeth
- There is no adjustment period with implants
- Implants can last an entire lifetime with good oral hygiene
- Implants prevent natural teeth from shifting
- Implants look and feel natural in the patient’s mouth
Implant-supported dentures are the combined benefit of dentures and dental implants. These devices combine these two modern prosthetics.
During the procedure, Dr. Kim will surgically attach four to six implants, typically titanium screws, into the patient’s jawbone. The screws are then given time to fuse with the patient’s jawbone tissue properly. This usually takes anywhere between three to six months. This procedure is known as osseointegration.
Once the implants are firmly joined to the patient’s jawbone, a unique set of dentures is attached to them. Once inserted, these dentures cannot be removed without the assistance of a dentist. That is the massive difference between dentures supported by implants and the traditional ones. These devices have many advantages like:
- It helps to prevent bone tissue loss since the implants are stimulating the patient’s gums
- It feels and looks natural in the patient’s mouth
- There is no adjustment period with these prosthetics
- Taking care of this type of dentures is no different from taking care of real teeth
- The patient can go back to enjoying his/her favorite foods
Unfortunately, not everyone qualifies for dentures supported by implants. Before any procedure, Dr. Kim will verify that the patient has enough healthy jawbone tissue for the procedure. Bone grafting or artificial bone tissue is sometimes used when the patient does not have the adequate bone tissue.